This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Ready for Sea

Ship's chronometer repaired

Progress on boat projects has been by fits and starts over the past winter because the house renovation effort demanded first priority.

In June I had the new house batteries installed and in July with Stephen's help I mounted the new solar panels then managed to haul the boat out of the water for three days of hull maintenance.  Soon after that I managed to find time to change the engine oil and filter.  I also removed the canvas spray dodger and bimini to Debbie at Ocean Canvas for repairs of zippers and snap locks.  And about a month ago I delivered the boat's chronometer to Jim, a clock repair man in Guildford.

The chronometer had been of particular concern to me.  It had begun to stop intermittently and it appeared to me that the electric drive mechanism had to be replaced.  I was wondering if a clock repairer would take on an electric drive replacement.  Repair of the clock was important to me because the inscription on the brass surface described is a retirement gift from my colleagues at Murdoch Univeristy.  Jim did a wonderful job.  He even purchased new hands for the chronometer but decided that the original simpler ones looked better.  I told him how much I appreciated his restoration because the chronometer meant a lot to me. "I know" he replied.

As the bathroom renovation wound down I had opportunities to spend a day or two at a time on the boat and in the last two weeks everything came together when Debbie delivered the repaired canvas ($260) and Jim delivered the repaired chronometer at the quoted price of $70.

Work on installation of the new regulator for the solar panel took two visits. During the first visit I simplified the wiring by removing the switch by which I had been able to direct the solar power between the House and Starter banks and also direct the wind charger  power to both banks simultaneously.  All power from the sun and wind is now directed to the House bank because that is the one that requires replenishment while cruising and I know that I can always join the two battery banks if the Starter bank is too weak to start the engine.
Panels joined under starboard panel


Victron Controller

On my last visit I confirmed my doubt that I had gotten the polarity right in wiring up the solar panels because the output cables were not labeled + and -.  Over a 5-day period the House bank voltage had dropped from 13.7V to 13.3v and no power was going into  the bank. I reversed the  polarity and soon everything was working well.  (Yes I know, as Stephen pointed out I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by probing the cables with the volt meter.)

I also mounted the chronometer and finished installing the repaired canvas. For good measure I replaced the LED light strip in the head.

Unless there is a surprise in store Pachuca is ready for sea, with 1020 a/h of new AGM batteries in the House, a new 230 a/h AGM battery in Starter banks, solar panels that rate at more than double the output of the older ones (150W vs 65W), and a new Victron controller with MPPT technology.

I plan sea trials to see if the the new can support without battery drain  normal cruising electrical requirements including running the power hungry refrigerator.

On a final bright note, during last weekend's "open house" Peter Austin asked me if I needed crew  for the sail from Fremantle to Bunbury in the coming Bunbury Cruise.  He beat beat me to it because I had been planning to ask him.  After we agreed he asked if his son Tom could come too.  Yup!  Then he asked if Stuart a long time mutual sailing friend could join us too.  Yup!  So there could be four of us making the sail.




No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me