This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Different Solar Controller

I investigated on the net the Powertech MPPT solar controller that I had purchased and was disturbed by the adverse reviews.  I then did more investigation and began to wonder if I really wanted the latest MPPT rather than the older PWM technology. The issue was reliability.  It appeared to me that the MPPT techonogy involved a lot of clever technology that rendered, using my term, high-strung equipment that was more likely to fail than the staid old PWM equipment.  MPY was fine for $700 equipment, but would be OK for $250 equipment?


This afternoon I visited Jaycar requesting a refund and I explained to Daniel the manager my reasons. referring to my simple Arrid controller that had supported me through my 5-year circumnavigation through many gales and storms and was still working well.  I told him that far out at sea I valued reliability more than glitzy performance.   He conceded that PWM controllers are more reliable because they rely more on hardware and less on electronics.  After some discussions I agreed to have a look at the Powertech MP-3722 PWM controller and accepted it with a $40 refund.  The controller has only a 1-year warranty but Daniel told me that he would make things good beyond 1 year.

One advantage is that the PWM version is smaller than the MPPT version and might slot in physically nicely in place of the Arrid.

Back at the house I googlesnooped Powertech the company and found it to be a serious Taiwanese company of world wide stature.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me