This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Gas Detector Fixed

The gas detector failed ruing the recent overnight  passage to Bunbury.  Normally there would be an error light corresponding to the detector having the problem,  but this was a general alarm which I had never seen before. 
Controller Inside Cupboard

Paul and I bypassed the controller and supplied power directly to the solenoid switch in order to use the gas stove.

Sensor now at top left.  Old sensor at bottom right.

Sensor in Lazarette
I then managed to find a new replacement of the same make and model for an all-up price of $600, which seemed a bit steep but OK because  I would get  parts compatibility.

I installed new unit and got the same alarms signal, which indicated that the old controller was OK and the problem was in one of the sensors.  It turned out to be the sensor in the lazarette, between the gas cylinders.  I then re installed the original controller with a replacement sensor from the new unit that I had purchased.  That worked OK but then I made the wise decision of testing the sensors using a rag soaked in gasoline.  The brand new sensor in the lazarette worked OK but the one in the galley below the stove failed.  I then replaced it with the second sensor from the new unit.  I installed the new galley sensor in a position well above the sole because  the original position was too low and subject to soaking when the shallow bilge overflowed while the boat was rolling.

The $600 wasn't completely wasted because after using the new sensors I've now got in reserve a new controller and solenoid valve.   The spare solenoid is good because I once read a letter from a couple who were not able to cook for weeks because their gas solenoid valve had failed.

Cleaned and Protected Connections
After finished the gas detector work I cleaned the connections of the lightning protection cables at each side of the mast then sprayed them with Lanox.  The cables connect to bolts of the heavy lead keel.  There are also cables from the chain plate but they were clean.   I don't know if these measures ever protected the boat but I do know that I didn't suffer any lightning problems during the 5-year circumnavigation,

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me